Monday, May 2, 2011

Skookie Sundae


 I love sundaes or anything to do with ice cream, and here is one I will be making again and again!


A Skookie is a cookie baked in a skillet. You can buy the skillets online here but you can also use a small 7 inch cast iron pan, small tin pans, mini foil pie pans or what I used, muffin top pans. The larger 7 inch pans will serve about 2 and the others are individual.
  When I went to make these the first time I thought I had some mini foil pie pans at home to bake these in but didn't. My friend Deby who was making dessert with me asked if I had some muffin top pans and I did, I  have had some for 15 years and never used them. They worked great for these sundaes.

Baked cookies from the smaller muffin top pan below


Large and small muffin top pans, but you do not need these to make them, see above comments.

To start, mix up your favorite chocolate chip cookie dough or this Mrs. Fields Recipe to make the warm chocolate chip cookies.

Mrs Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark or light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup salted butter, softened (if using unsalted I increase salt to about 1 teaspoon instead of 1/4)
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
   Cream butter and sugars in a large bowl. Add eggs and vanilla, and mix until just blended.
In another bowl whisk flour with the baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture, then add the chocolate chips and mix until blended.
   Grease pans, press 3/4 cup dough into a 7 inch pan or press a even layer of dough into muffin top pans, mini foil or tin pans. Bake 350 for 8 to 12 minutes. They are best if alittle underbaked!
   Remove from pans if needed to serving plates, or serve out of the skillet.

Serve warm with scoops of vanilla ice cream, hot fudge sauce, whipped cream and chocolate shavings like here where I found this recipe. Or add strawberries and bananas or your favorite sundae toppings.

Super Simple Hot Fudge Sauce:
Melt in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute:
1 cup (6 oz.) semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter

Stir and melt for another 30 seconds if needed. Add:
1-14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tablespoons of milk
Heat again until warm.

I hope you enjoy!
Donna

1 comment:

  1. yum!Where was I when you were making these? You shoulda called me up ;)

    ReplyDelete